Shortcut Virus Removal
Shortcut Virus Removal tool
The malware has different names but they all start with "cc" and has extension of one of the following.
It hides contents of removable drives and creates a shortcut and sets its name as target of the shortcut. It creates a hidden nameless folder and then moves all the removable drive contents in to the nameless folder. It always stays on memory and detects when a removable media is inserted.
It copies itself on to temp directory and creates registry value to enable automatic startup of the malware when computer starts.
It also communicates with other malicious servers and sites around the world to download and spread more malware.
- Start task manager
- Find one of the following two processes (if they are running) under explorer.exe process and then kill (terminate) the process.
- Wuauclt.exe (for 32 bit windows)
- Svchost.exe (for 64 bit windows)
- Checkthe current "user account" name and then use it as Userprofile on the next step also, Check the "all users account" name and then use it as Allusersprofile on the next step
- Check paths of registry keys (Userprofile\local settings\Temp or Allusersprofile\local settings\Temp) and look for malware path value. (\local settings\temp\cc(variable_name).(exe, com, cmd, scr, pif, bat)
- Go to the malware path and delete it
Using shortcut removal tool
- Download ShortCutFixer.zip file
- Unzip ShortCutFixer.zip file
- Run the tool with administrator privilege and then click remove virus button
About Shortcut removal tool
- Developed using C
- It first checks whether the processes (\windows\system32\wuauclt.exe or \windows\syswow64\svchost.exe) are running and infected. It does this by retrieving the load address of the process on the memory and check the PUSHfollowed by RET signature, If found it will kill the infected process.
- Then opens the registry key values (Userprofile\local settings\Temp or Allusersprofile\local settings\Temp) and checks "\local settings\Temp" is present on the path. Also checks "cc" is present on the name of the file from the path value and the extension is one of (exe, com, cmd, pif, scr,bat). If case is matched, it will delete the malware and then correct the registry settings or removes the value entry from registry